Helpful tips on how to get your child to read more this winter
As temperatures begin to drop and winter approaches, your children will begin to spend more time indoors. To make an effort to limit screen time this winter, encourage your children to read more. Of course, this can be easier said than done. Below are some tips on how to get your kids to read more and stay engaged in learning during the winter season and into the New Year.
- Take a visit to the library. Children enjoy being able to pick out their own books to take home. Libraries also offer several fun and free programs to encourage reading. Whether it is a specific story time every week, a book- of-the-month club that is age appropriate, or read-a-thons that give out prizes for completion, nothing beats going on a trip to the library to motivate your child to read more.
- Talk to your child’s teachers about the latest series and fads in reading. Teachers at PA Virtual always keep up with the latest reading trends for the grade levels they teach and educators around you should be able to make recommendations, too! You can also ask for suggestions at your local bookstore.
- If your child is already hooked on a series, find out when the next book in the series comes out and reserve it for its release date. A lot of bookstores will even host release parties for very popular book series (for example, Harry Potter and The Hunger Games).
- Throw your own book release party! If your child loves a book series, their friends might love it, too. Host a read along, with themed snacks and activities to go along with the book. You can even include jokes or activities only people who have read the series will understand.
- Read to your children. It may have been a while since you read to your children, but nothing is more impactful to your children than one-on-one quality bonding time. If your children are older, look into some audio books or even an audio book subscription.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some of these ideas may not currently be feasible. However, feel free to get creative and take things virtual this year to keep the fun of reading going during these cold winter months.
If you're looking for some book suggestions for younger children, check out our blog post, "20 Great Book Recommendations for Elementary School Students." And, if you're looking for some book recommendations for older students, check out this blog post.
Did you know PA Virtual Charter School not only educates through technology, but also provides books picked specifically for your child’s educational needs? To request more information about PA Virtual, click below!