10 Fun, Budget-Friendly Family Activities in Greater Philadelphia
Ready to squeeze in a few more family outings – and not break the bank? We’ve compiled a list of 10 free or low-cost activities for you and your family, all in the greater Philadelphia area.
Note: Please confirm each destination’s health and safety protocols, as well as local guidance on masking and distancing, prior to your trip.
10 Fun, Budget-Friendly Family Activities in the Greater Philadelphia Area
- Grab your snacks and hit the pavement to view the Philadelphia Mural Mile, which boasts some of city’s best artwork – including West Philadelphia’s tribute to the Tuskegee Airmen, the beautiful Autumn Revisited at Palumbo Park, and Water Gives Life at 13th and Arch. Guided tours are also available for a small fee.
- Stroll through the hiking and walking trails at beautiful Wissahickon Valley Park – and enjoy some bird watching and biking while you get in touch with nature.
- Make a splash at one of the Philadelphia Parks and Recreation’s spraygrounds and spray features for a free way to cool down.
- Strike down boredom with the Kids Bowl Free summer program. You’ll need to register ahead of time for your children to receive two free games daily at participating alleys, and standard shoe rental rates may apply.
- Wander through the lush gardens and tree groves at Dilworth Park, or join in activities such as Zumba, outdoor markets, and movie nights, free of charge!
- Channel your inner scientist at the Science History Institute's museum! Don’t forget to check out the Object Explorer, an interactive exhibit that unlocks stories of an object’s history, materials, and more.
- Are your furry friends along for the ride? Take your kids – tails and all – to Manayunk’s Pretzel Park for a day of play. Don’t forget to check out the park’s special events, like the Saturday Farmers Market.
- Embrace the green space at Bartram's Garden, a 50-acre public garden. This historic site will have you amazed that you're still within city limits.
- Live like a tourist for the day! Run up the Rocky steps, visit the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, or grab a seat and listen to Ben or Betsy at one of the 13 Once Upon a Nation Storytelling Benches in the Historic District
- Venture outside the city limits to take in more than 3,500 acres of nature and history at Valley Forge National Historic Park. Climb Mt. Joy or Mt. Misery, visit the newly remodeled Visitor Center, or picnic in the meadows.
Many of the above locations provide educational components that allow children to explore their creativity while learning about nature and history – all while having fun! We hope that you enjoyed our list of 10 fun, budget-friendly family activities in the Greater Philadelphia area.
Curious about the role that similar outings can play in your child’s schooling and socialization? PA Virtual Charter School plans comparable field trips throughout the year for students and families, all focused on enhanced learning experiences and socialization opportunities.
Learn more about PA Virtual by clicking the button below to request more information.
Photo by Elisabeth Wales on Unsplash.